The Vic Hum Club
Island Landmark's Golden Anniversary
by Norman Rolle
East from the public dock Munning Street meanders uphill for about a quarter mile where it connects with Barrack Street at the base of the hill which is at the center of this three by a half mile island. Here sits a Briland landmark - the Vic-Hum Club. Albeit nondescript, it has been the entertainment and social rendezvous for this tiny island of 2,000 people for 50 years, and has hosted an impressive array of international celebrities.
It opened in 1955 by two of the islandís prominent sons, late brothers Victor and Humphrey Percentie Sr. Currently managed by Humphrey Percentie, Jr, the Vic-Hum also claims to be a museum.
As you enter, itís like walking into history, history of music and sports. Literally every square foot of wall in the outer bar and lounge is decorated with colour printouts of entertainment and sports figures, including three albums by the popular group of the sixties - Percentie Brothers -Victor, Herman, Anthony, Humphrey and vocalist George Nixon. To further cement its fetish for memorabilia, on the top shelf of the bar sits the largest coconut ever grown in The Bahamas and perhaps the world - 33 inches in diameter - a symbol of the club and a talking point for tourists for 31 years.
The back section, unroofed, doubles as a mini basketball court by day and a dance floor by night. Here, with a historic ambiance of wall pictures and paintings, also is a ping pong table.
<<< Harbour Island News & Reviews - Vic Hum Club - Harbour Island Continued... >>>